Student Information

This page contains information that we hope will be helpful to your studies, including how to plan your course and where to get support when you need it.

Help and advice

You are welcome to approach staff members for advice. If it is a matter concerning a particular course, you should in the first instance contact the course coordinator. For more general advice on planning, first contact the School Office and the staff there will direct you to the relevant adviser.

If a problem arises for which you would rather not approach the course coordinator or lecturer, feel free to consult your Programme Director or the Head of School.

Designated staff in the school are able to advise women students, Maori and Pacific Nation students, international students and students with disabilities about any specific concerns. You can find these staff in the staff directory.

Students also act as mentors for Maori, Pacific Nation and other students. The Te Rōpū Āwhina (Āwhina) describes this scheme and how to participate.

If you wish to seek external aid, the Student Services Group is available to provide a variety of support and services. VUWSA is also available for welfare and representation needs.

Students with impairments are protected by the "Meeting the Needs of Students with Impairments Policy". This policy aims to give students with impairments the same opportunity as other students to demonstrate their abilities. You should contact your course coordinator if you feel your impairment will hinder your academic progress in any way. You may wish to approach a Student Adviser from Disability Support Services to confidentially discuss your individual needs and the options and support that are available.

Important dates

Victoria's home site contains the approved dates and deadlines for trimesters, withdrawls and holiday breaks.


Students should familiarise themselves with the university's student policies and statutes.

You should particularly familiarise yourself with:

In addition, there are other important aspects of your study that you must be aware of:


ECS has a framework that provides guidance to both staff and students about what should be expected of students in courses from the 100-level to the 400-level. All ECS students should be familiar with this framework.

Course planning

You should plan your course of study as a coherent programme over the three or more years required. Usually, first-year students can only enrol in 100-level courses. In choosing your courses it is important to take account of:

  • The overall requirements of the degree(s) you have chosen.
  • The specific requirements of your major subject(s).
  • Entry criteria for 100-level courses.
  • Prerequisites for courses, especially those that have prerequisites in other subject areas.
  • Workload constraints: 60 points per trimester represents standard full-time study. Most full-time first-year students take seven or eight courses (105/120 points per year).
  • Timetable constraints: draw up your own timetable to ensure you do not have any clashes. You may find the course timetable useful for this.
  • There will generally be some choice about which courses you take, especially in your first year. This enables you to build a programme that can keep options open if you are unsure of your preferred major. There are many interesting courses around, and your specific interests may change as you advance through your degree.

Each major has its own requirements and advice. Please follow the links below to find out more.

You may like to consider extending your degree: it is possible to take a degree with a 'double major' by satisfying the requirements of two subject areas, or to take a 'double degree' by taking two degrees from different faculties. Some sharing is permitted, so a double degree requires fewer points than the two degrees separately.

External technical information sites

External Technical Sites contains links to external sites that provide technical information on various subjects.

Student Representative Meetings

Student Rep Meetings contains the agenda and action points for meetings between student representatives for each course and staff.


CareerHub is Career Development and Employment's Online Service where VUW students and graduates can search for job vacancies, career events and career resources.


ECS supports a number of Programming Contests open to all our undergraduate and graduate students.

Postgraduate Information

See the Postgraduate Information page.

At ECS we provide large laboratories with University computers in, and, to date, there are no courses that require a student to use their own machine. If you do decide to use your own laptop, we do have space in the labs to plug in your own device and we would recommend a laptop that has at least 8GB of RAM, at least i5 or higher model processor, and ideally 256GB or larger SSD. We do not require a powerful graphics card, not even for CGRA majors. However, if you do want to spend money on an advanced graphics card, please ensure that it supports OpenGL 3 or higher (almost all modern ones do!).