BCA (Accountancy, Commercial Law & Information Systems) VUW, MSc Newcastle (UK), PhD Newcastle (UK)
My ancestors are from England, Wales (via Australia) and Ireland. My Dad arrived from England after WW2 and my mother's family came from Forest of Dean to Ngā Motu during the 1860s but she was born in Tāmaki Makaurau. I was born in Kirikiriroa but grew up on the Kāpiti Coast in Paraparaumu where I went to Primary School and College. I have four sisters and a brother plus a boatload of nieces and great-nieces and nephews who live in New Zealand and Australia. I'm civil unioned to my husband.
I have a PhD and MSc from the University of Newcastle upon Tyne and a Bachelor of Commerce focusing on Accountancy and Commercial Law from Victoria University of Wellington. Before returning to study I worked for a range of employers including the State Services Commission, Government Superannuation Fund, QEII Arts Council, Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Limited, Accenture and the UK National Health System. I returned to New Zealand in 2003 to begin work as a lecturer at Victoria University of Wellington.
View my calendar
Conference and other events
- Flaws, B. (2019 Jan 19). A 'honeypot' for fraudsters, or a simple way to pay online? New Zealand Herald.
- Welch, I. (2018 Dec 17). Why Online Voting won't be getting my vote. New Zealand Herald.
- Putt, S. (2018 May 4). Victoria Uni staff install network in Samoa, prioritise cybersecurity. Cybersecurity 100-level course a first for New Zealand. ComputerWorld.
- Pullar-Strecker, T. (2018, Jul 29).'Genuine victims' can no longer bank on being reimbursed for internet banking fraud. Stuff.co.nz.
- Pilcher, P. (2018, Jul 3). Z Energy vulnerability highlights hole in NZ data breach laws. iStart.
- Science Media Centre (2017, April 11). NZ gets a 'CERT' - What are the big cybersecurity threats?. Scoop Sci-tech.
- Welch, I. (2016, Jun 20). Ian Welch: Waging war on hackers a daunting arms race. New Zealand Herald.
- Saarinen, J. (2015, Feb 27). Juha Saarinen: The chilling effect of tech law. New Zealand Herald.
I'm the programme leader for the Cybersecurity (Haumaru-a-rorohiko) BSc specialisation and major at Victoria University.
My current research focuses on web browser security, network security, human aspects of information security and programmable networks. Previous work has been on anonymous auctions, language level security, and digital archiving. While in the United Kingdom, I was a research associate on the five nation European Union project Malicious and Fault Tolerant Internet Applications and also contributed to the Dependable Systems of Systems project focusing upon adaptive distributed systems to increase their reliability.
I am a member of the New Zealand Internet Task Force, was a judge for the New Zealand iSANZ awards for excellence in Information Security in 2014, was co-leader of the New Zealand Honeypot chapter for more than five years, remain a member of the Honeyproject
, have been a mentor for the Google Summer of Code
. I am a strong believer in local Information Security conferences and support AISC, ACSW and promote Kiwicon to my students.
Several years ago, I received Government funding to run night courses and establish a community-based Internet cafe and education centre in association with the Porirua Pacific Islands Forum. For many years I have run outreach events for the Te Rōpū Āwhina Māori and Pasifika groups. My personal family connections are part of my motivation for this type of work.
Many of my students are co-supervised with other staff (including VUW Aaron Chen
, David Streader
, Bing Xue
, David Pearce
, Winston Seah
, Qiang Fu
, Jocelyn Cranefield
, Brenda Chawner
, Gillian Olliver
, Peter Komisarzcuk
, Andy Linton
and Kris Bubendorfer
- Kaishuo Yang - Reverse Engineering of an Obfuscated Binary (MSc)
- Matthew Stevens - Security when a Hacker Pwns your Business Partners Network (PhD)
- Trung Truong - Interdomain routing (PhD)
- Mohammed Al-Shaboti- Dynamic access control for IoT (PhD)
- Hassan Tariq - Optimisation HDFS using SDN measurements (PhD)
- Shabbir Abbasi - APT, Ransomware and Cryptojacking (PhD)
- Junaid Haseeb - Deception Techniques for IoT (PhD)
Masters by thesis
- Abigail Koay - Detecting High and Low Intensity Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) Attacks (2018)
- Muhammad Mahmood - Event Reliability in Wireless Sensor Networks (2018)
- Michael Emmanuel -Interconnection Impact Analysis of Solar Photovoltaic Systems with Distribution Networks (2018) ResearchArchive
- Masood Mansoori - Localisation of Attacks, Combating Browser-Based Geo-Information and IP Tracking Attacks (2017) ResearchArchive
- Santosh Kumar - Transfer Learning for Dataset Shift in Classification and Clustering Problems (2017) ResearchArchive
- Ferry Hendrix - Reputation Services (2015) ResearchArchive
- Van Lam Le - Feature-Based Approaches to Detect Drive-by Download Attacks (2013) (pdf)
- Benjamin Palmer - Anonymously Establishing Digital Provenance in Reseller Chains (2012) ResearchArchive
- Christian Seifert - Cost-effective Detection of Drive-by-Download Attacks with Hybrid Client Honeypots (2010) ResearchArchive
- Jayden Nowitz - Modern Perspective on Phishing: An investigation into susceptibility to phishing attacks between mobile and desktop email clients (MSc 2018) ResearchArchive
- Matthew Stevens - Applying Formal Modelling to the Specification and Testing of SDN Network Functionality (2016) (ME) ResearchArchive
- Pacharawit Topark-Ngarm - Mobile Client Honeypots (MSc 2014) pdf
- Shadi Esnaashari - Invisible Barriers: Identifying restrictions affecting New Zealanders' access to the Internet (MSc 2014) ResearchArchive
- Wayne Thomson - GAF: A General Auction Framework for Secure Combinatorial Auctions (MSc 2014) ResearchArchive
- Aun Iqbal - Development of Osix - A Peering Point in a Box (MCompSci 2013) ResearchArchive
- Hugh Davenport - Implementation and Evaluation of Security Protocols in E-Commerce Applications (ME 2012) ResearchMaster
- Paul Radford - Improving Salience Retention and Identification in the Automated Filtering of Event Log Messages (MSc 2011) ResearchArchive
- Deb Shepherd - Developing, Analysing and Testing the Fringe Routing Protocol (ME 2011) ResearchArchive
- David Stirling - Enhancing Client Honeypots with Grid Services and Workflows (MSc 2009) pdf
- Benjamin Palmer - Verifying Anonymous Auctions (MSc 2009) ResearchArchive
- Vipul Delwadia - RemoteME:Experiments in Thin-Client Mobile Computing (MSc 2009) ResearchArchive
- Dean Pemberton - An Empirical Study of Internet Background Radiation Arrival Density and Network Telescope Sampling Strategies (MSc 2007) pdf
An automated compilation of my publications is provided by Google Scholar
. The human curated version is maintained in the School's Publications Database