Technical Note - Software Distribution
ECS distributes freeware or open-source software that may aid students in their studies. These files are distributed as raw files suitable for transferral to a USB stick or other portable media.
The contents of the software folder can be found in the online copy of the Readme file
All files can be found in
ECS Software is provided as individual files and folders.
These files are only accessible from ECS workstations, and are designed to be burnt or copied and taken home.
Burning to a CD with K3b
To burn the image to a CD from a NetBSD workstation:
- Start the K3b program from the K Menu (under Multimedia).
- Click on New Data CD Project.
- Type the location
/local/images/ followed by the Enter key.
- Drag and drop the files or directories you wish to copy in the space provided.
- Click on Follow link now and do not add hidden files when prompted with that question.
- Put a blank CD or DVD in the DVD writer, make sure you have a disc large enough to hold all the files. You will probably need a 700MB/80 minute CD.
- Click Burn: a window will open and click on the Burn button.
Burning the disc can take anywhere from 3 to 30 minutes, depending on the drive and the media. Be patient!