December 2009

  • Got a version of Jigsaw to experiment with for visual software analytics
  • Posters chair for SoftVis 2010
  • Short throw projector arrived as well as projector mount
  • In the process of ordering Plexiglas 7D006 acrylic glass
  • Ordered short throw projector and projector mount. Need to decide on frame
  • Helping HaoweiRuan and NickVause with their projects
  • working on proposal
  • too much time is being spent on NZCSRSC2010

November 2009

  • working on proposal
  • submitted 6 monthly report
  • met Kevin Andressad from IceAV and saw the solutions he has for multi-touch surfaces
  • caughtup with NextWindow about Large Touch Screen Interfaces
  • went to Auckland for VASE workshop
  • too much time is being spent on NZCSRSC2010
  • moved to month by month diary, doing daily was becoming too time consuming

October 2009

31 October

In San Francisco for Halloween, again. Good times though. Americans sure love to dress up for this occasion. Dressed as a Hobbit with rainbow coloured afro hair.

30 October

Spent the day at the Kennedy Space Centre. Interesting to see all the rockets and various space equipment. The weather was sure fine.

24-29 October

At OOPSLA, Onward! and WikiSym. Presented WikiSym poster and organised the PLATEAU workshop

17-24 October

Visiting Robert Biddle in Ottawa, Canada

11-16 October

At IEEE VisWeek in Atlantic City

9 October

Left for the US

6 October

Working on proposal.

NZCSRSC admin.

WikiSym Poster printed at School of Design.

PhD Proposal meeting. Need lots more in background. Other parts needs sharpening. Need to add more to prelim results. Hopefully I have can have a much better draft before I go on Friday.

PLATEAU meeting.

5 October

Moving stuff from office for the preiminent move.

Working on proposal.

NZCSRSC admin.

PLATEAU / VASE admin.

Feeling better, still not 100%

1-4 October

Out of action, come down with bad headache and sore other things.

PLATEAU / VASE admin.

September 2009

30 September

Not feeling so good.

NZCSRSC meeting. Applied for IET Grant for conference, fingers crossed.

Gave Stu and James copy of proposal, hopefully I get some good feedback.

29 September

Working hard on getting proposal in shape for tomorrows meeting.

28 September

NZCSRSC admin.

Applied for some research scholarships.

Finalised flights.

27 September

Working on scholarships.

Reported errors to Rilla.

26 September

Working on proposal and following up on emails.

Following up on some todos for the new table.

25 September

Presented my film of my multi-touch table and demos at Elvis meeting and gave people the opportunity to have a play on the table.

Sorting out travel expenses.

24 September

Put together a film of the work.

Created some pics of multi-touch table and videos.

Met with Gordon MacDonald from NextWindow and showed demo of work.

VASE admin.

23 September

Hacking with TUIOZones.

22 September

Trying to source some mounting screws for the projector frame. Got projector frame now from IT Teaching Services, now need to mount that to the angled wood frame. Possibly get some larger bolts as well.

Working on VASE pasper.

21 September

Working on TUIO zones for System Hotspots, works quite nicely. Now need to make it work for the Java API information I have.

Wikipublisher poster meeting with John. Updated some changes to the poster.

Working on VASE pasper.

Trying to source some RP 7D006 for the larger table.

20 September

Made my frame better for the projector housing in the multi-touch table.

19 September

Found the optimal position for the projector which removes the trapeze shape, ghosting, however I can't get 100% focus over the whole surface.

NZCSRSC admin, access to photo librar.

18 September

Hacking with TUIO zones.

Working on VASE paper.

Trying to sort out short-throw projector for larger table.

Lots of NZCSRSC admin.

Following up on some emails sitting in my inbox for a few weeks.

17 September

Wikipublisher poster meeting.

NZCSRSC admin.

PLATEAU admin.

16 September

Attended Dave Pearce's talk at the Wellington JUG.

Coding hotspots and working on VASE paper.

NZCSRSC admin.

PLATEAU admin.

October travel admin.

15 September

Working on hotspots processing code.

14 September

Recovering from lack of sleep.

13 September

Built my frame for my mutli-touch table. Now have a stable table smile

5 September

Working on PLATEAU paper.

4 September

Talked at the IEEE student post-grad event.

Working on PLATEAU paper.

3 September

Working on PLATEAU paper.

Visualizing the pictures produced from my Hot Spot Views on the Visualization Wall.

2 September

Coding System Hot Spot View of Java API 1.6 in Processing.

1 September

Coding System Hot Spot View of Java API 1.6 in Processing.

August 2009

31 August

Gave demo of multi-touch table to MORST.

28 August

Working at Study At Vic day. Showing about 100 potential students my multi-touch table, all of whom were very interested.

27 August

Setting up my multi-touch table for Study At Vic day. Bugger, mirror smasher and there was an earthquake. Had to use a temporary mirror. Anyhow I wanted to get rid of that mirror somehow, what better way to do it by breaking it smile

26 August

Setting up Windows machine in the VisLab? for working with the current prototype setup.

Getting quotes for projectors from various suppliers in Wellington.

Engaging with ICEAV who produce some very nice projection material. I may look to use some of this material for my research project.

25 August

Following up about getting a projector now.

Purchased some PS3 cameras today from PeauProductions, looking forward to them arriving now.

Completed camera ready copy of PLATEAU proposal for Onward proceedings. I was probably supposed to have done this a few days ago.

24 August

Read a paper on Java Nano-patterns. It would be interesting to apply this technique on the methods in the Qualitas Corpus.

Multi-touch in Firefox - way cool.

VASE / PLATEAU admin.

Gave short throw projector back to ITS since I have finished testing with that. I am likely to get that model, unless the preferred supplied can not get one of the other models.

10 August

Refactoring Java code.

NZCSRSC admin. We are going to be hosting NZCSRSC 2010, yay, lots of work but should be fun.

Trying to install windows on the multi-touch machine in my office.

Forwarding info about Matt's talk.

9 August

Matt Duignan is going to give a seminar on his PhD? research on Tuesday.

Going to be helping with Wikis4SE at WikiSym?.

PLATEAU admin.

8 August

Emailed Te Papa about our research. They want to do some multi-touch interface for an exhibit next year and we may be involved.

NZCSRSC admin.

Gave Robt, Pippin and Rilla and update of my multi-touch table.

7 August

Trying to source a short throw projector.

Replied to the request for IEEE presentations in September at the Post-graduate event.

Asked Matt if he wants to give a seminar next week.

Calculating which camera to get for my multi-touch table. Likely to go for something from PeauProductions?.

6 August

Trying to source a camera from shops in New Zealand.

Sourcing places to get a short throw projector.

Asked to get some ECS accounts for the Music guys.

NZCSRSC admin.

Went and got some 99561 acrylic from Anderson Design. Yay it worked amazingly well and so my multi-touch table actually works! I had to borrow Jordan and Owen's camera. All my dreams have come true.

Replied to Dave's Q about ACDC key note.

5 August

Organising time to go and see Story Inc.

Had phone call from Te Papa about information in regard to setting up a multi-touch table for one of their exhibits.

PLATEAU admin.

Attended the NZCS event, and only got one slice of pizza and actually felt a bit sick afterwards.

4 August

PLATEAU meeting and admin.

Arranging [Anderson Design] to cut their spare piece of 99561 to fit my table. Will pick up in the next couple of days.

Borrowed Owen and Jordan's camera and the table works well with plain clear plexiglass and drafting paper, but there are lots of hotspots. Hopefully the better material 99561 or 7D006 will work much better.

Discussion with UR about Fingertapps licence.

3 August

NZCSRSC admin, some other admin. Getting ready for tomorrow to test a better web camera since the current one I have puts out a very poor frame rate.

July 2009

31 July

Jordan and Owen gave a talk at Elvis on their research projects with Bricktable, real cool.

Emailed Sue about Study @ Vic day.

Updated SPPI wiki about UR visit. Got access to the Fingertapps SDK.

Completed David's Java puzzle, quite interesting, the intricacies of Java smile

Emailed Marcus about multi-touch Conways Law game that Jordan and Owen created.

VASE admin. BuildIT? grant for travel consortia was successful, so we will have some money to go to Auckland yay smile

Got table from ITS. Now need to assemble table.

30 July

Emailed Celine about two mice software for Windows.

Emailed ITS to see if they have any spare trolleys about to create a multi-touch table.

Sent an update of PhD? to supervisors. Lots to do. Completed BuildIT? travel grant, then realised that these are not due until the end of August!

Follow up with UR.

Followed up to some questions from Marketing.

Found a paper that is related to Geoff's work.

PLATEAU admin.

Can apply for a Faculty Research Grant.

Helping Pippin with a paper he wants to read.

Had some login problems with the ITS machines.

Cleaning out some old stuff in the office.

Visited the library to see their Access Grid and associated multi-touch / touch devices.

29 July

Organising a few meetings and appointments.

Updating this diary since I haven't done it in a few weeks. Plus added some more links on the [SPPI Wiki].

Working on proposal.

Our PLATEAU workshop at Onward was blogged on Lambda the Ultimate. Updated some links on the workshop site.

28 July

Reading a few papers about multi-touch gestures, multi-touch photo browser, and incorporating multi-touch with a foot pad to navigate spatial GIS data.

Installing and playing with multi-touch demos. Thanks Rilla and Pippin.

Aiming for an empty inbox. Only have a couple more emails to respond to but that requires some work.

Helped FlipMu guys with Mecurial issues.

NZCSRSC admin.

27 July

Also went to aluminum and hardware stores in the area.

Went and saw PSP with Jordan and Owen to get some acrylic glass. They put us onto this material I think called RS something, can't remember the name, however, it has been used for the Our Space exhibition within Te Papa, will need to follow up with the people from the company who designed the exhibit.

25 July

PLATEAU admin.

24 July

Sent more information to Owen and Jordan related to multi-touch, Wellington, and various links of interest.

Went to Palmerston North to visit [Unlimited Realities] to discuss their software [Fingertapps]. They showed us some interesting prototypes they are working with in regard to MT for computer desktop displays. However, I can't really discuss them as they were confidential. We are hoping to use their software with our MT table.

Gave a seminar to the SEAT department at Massey, Palmy on Visual Software Analytics for Multi-touch Tables

Caught up with Jens Dietrich to discuss our SPPI objective, our VASE workshop, and his visualisation tools.

23 July

Followed the meeting up with sending them lots of information related to multi-touch, Wellington, and various links of interest.

Met Jordan Hochenbaum and Owen Vallis from CalArts? and of FlipMu fame who are new PhD? students in the New Zealand School of Music focusing on making music using multi-touch tables. I am now collaborating with them to build my MT table. They have extensive experience at doing this, since they have built about four tables over the past couple of years. You know what they say, stand on the shoulders of giants etc. However, both of them are not giants but the work they have done is very impressive. I am hoping to learn lots from their experience at building these kinds of multi-touch tables.

Experimenting with box, acrylic, and basic hand detection and trialling the new lights.

PLATEAU admin. Updated site and followed up with the organisers of workshops to see if we can have Sunday.

22 July

Helping Sue with some ideas for graduate profiles. Sent some information on people she could contact, plus gave a small interview.

Picked up the lights from Jason, now need to configure them with the table to test if they work.

21 July

Updating SPPI FRST 2008/2009 report.

20 July

Updating SPPI FRST 2008/2009 report.

Working on proposal.

17 July

Picked up some IR lights from JayCar, gave them to Jason to wire up.

Listened to Hugh give a talk at Elvis on his research.

Had a discussion with Mark Wilson about his research relating to visualisation, forensics, and visual analytics tools. It was very good to talk with someone else who is using the same approach but for a different domain.

16 July

Contacting Rilla and Pippin about IR lights and size of their table.

NZCSRSC admin.

15 July

Rilla's work has been published as an article in the Dominion Post: [Game helps kids kick the habit].

14 July

Working on proposal.

Still not feeling too good.

13 July

Come down with a cold.

10 July

Contacting Michele Lanza about Polymetric Views.

Gave some info to Jason about IR lights and MT techniques.

VASE admin.

NZCSRSC admin.

Looking for frosted tables. The current table we have is too opaque. I got some quotes from some furniture places (Dobbins Office Furniture and FC Depot) and the tables ranged from $150-$250 for the kind of thing we want. Some other places like Freedom Furniture had more expensive tables.

Went to JayCar to look at some LED lights. They gave me a quote of approx $250 to get some lights and power source.

9 July

Trying to build a cheap multi-touch system see How to Make a Cheap Multitouch Pad - Hardware Thread

8 July

Some VASE and NZCSRSC admin.

PLATEAU meeting.

Working on proposal.

7 July

Figured out how to move applications to different spaces in Mac OS X.

Submitted camera ready Wikipublisher Project paper. Documented how to turn the paper into the ACM Latex document. Hopefully some time in the future we can get this step automated smile

6 July

Got some transparent glass for a FTIR approach for the multi-touch table. Now need to assemble and test.

Doing some VASE admin.

5 July

Saw Transformers 2, was quite good, but given it is the second in the series the first one is usually the best, and again it proved so. However, this film was still good.

4 July

Playing with Mac OS X spaces, multiple desktops in Windows. Very cool. Nice way to be able to move between them, now need to figure out how to move an application to a different space, which happened accidentally.

Doing some VASE admin.

Independence day for some.

3 July

Elvis meeting Dave talked about his new language.

Doing some VASE admin.

2 July

Found two interesting workshops at VisWeek? that I should submit something to, both of which I am doing smile

  • Putting Visualization on the Web
  • Collaborative Visualization on Interactive Surfaces - CoVIS'09

Had brief meeting with Stuart about proposal, need to write more in the research plan section smile

Had PLATEAU workshop meeting.

1 July

Updated a number of pages on ElvisBrain

Working more on the multi-touch table, run into some more issues.

Working on proposal. Sent Stuart another draft.

It appears my fonts suck on NetBSD / KDE. Mark gave me some suggestions of what to do. It appears better know but can't confirm if it is any better than what is supposed to be there.

June 2009

30 June

Working on proposal.

VASE admin.

PLATEAU meeting.

29 June

Game testing for Vipul.

26 June

Gave talk at Datacom, it went quite well. Missed Elvis meeting.

25 June

Working on slides for tomorrow at Datacom.

Met with Ben and David from Unlimited Realities and we discussed multi-touch software including their product [Fingertapps].

24 June

Came across iDaft the other day thanks to Rilla and Pippin. I think I could make something like this for the multi-touch table I am building. Perhaps I could call it TouchDaft? or DaftTouch?.

emailed Keith about some points in his ASE paper.

23 June

Updated VASE web site.

Reading Keith's paper.

Had meeting in the morning with Emerson and Shane about PLATEAU, lots of things to do.

22 June

Was getting inundated with X3D emails. Decided to subscribe to digest and unsubscribe from a couple of lists since this area is not primarily my main focus now.

SPPI wiki updating, for annual report and some board meeting.

21 June

Putting together some machines. Not sure why they ever made such horrible machines even a couple of years ago. It is amazing some of the lack of foresight some computer hardware companies really are.

Reading some more about multi-touch.

19 June

Discussed with James and Brenda about the copyright of the ACM permission form for WikiSym?. Doing work on Wikipublisher paper.

Attended Elvis, Vipul gave a great demo of his work.

DJP is back, yay.

Meeting with Stuart and discussed direction of thesis, now a lot clearer need to add more to the proposal.

Working on proposal.

Organised to talk at Datacom next week on my research, should be quite interesting since I have not been working for a company for a couple of years and doing enterprise Java.

There is going to be a WordCamp New Zealand in Wellington for developers, technical people, and users of WordPress? blogs to meet and discuss WordPress? things. Given that I don't use any WordPress? products it is unlikely I will go. I suggested to John that he give a talk about Wikipublisher there. We will see what happens.

18 June

Working on proposal.

Wikipublisher paper.

Emailed some friends who Stephen can contact in Munich.

17 June

Trying to reduce the number of emails in inbox. Now have less than 10. Most were related to Visualization Requirements, which I have now printed and put on my noticeboard as motivation and inspiration for creating visualizations of metrics data.

Found a restaurant in London called [Inamo] which is similar to [uWink]. They both have touch technology in their restaurants to help patrons order and to entertain them

Working on proposal and WikiSym? poster paper.

16 June

Working on proposal and WikiSym? poster paper.

I now have a sample of acrylic glass from the University glazier for a FTIR approach on the [multi-touch table]. Now need to configure it and make it work.

15 June

Touched up a few things in proposal. Still lots to go.

While reading OO metrics in practice I have been thinking about doing some user studies of the visualisations illustrated in the book on the software in the corpus. I would conduct two visualisations one for the web and the other for multi-touch this would then give a better idea as to what the implications are for multi-touch surfaces. The basic approach is to take existing visualisation techniques and see how they work for software visulisation using multi-touch devices to support visual software analytics. That is the current theme of the thesis.

Finished rereading OO metrics in practice. I read the book sometime last year but forgot to take notes. Emailed the authors about some typos.

Emailed WikiSym? signalling our intention to write a two page poster paper and create a poster for the conference in October.

Caught up with Stuart for a few minutes to let him know what is going on.

Paid my fees again the remaining part which has gone up by over $500 this year. I must finish quicker rather than later otherwise I won't be able to afford to study no longer.

12 June

Still rereading OO Metrics in Practice.

Got some books out from the library on OO Design Heuristics (Riel), Software Metrics (1994), and Proecssing.

Created a web site for our [Visual Analytics in Software Engineering (VASE)] workshop at ASE conference in November.

Had a meeting with John Rankin to discuss the poster about Wikipublisher for WikiSym?. Perhaps we can get the programmers to write a plugin for Twiki for Wikipublisher. Need to contact Wikisym about addendum and create a poster draft for our meeting in two weeks.

Nicholas Erdody to talk at Elvis about the Open Source Learning laboratory.

Organising for Errol Thompson to give a seminar next week at ECS.

Asked Christo to make some changes to the ECS events page.

11 June

Rereading OO Metrics in Practice. Think this is a good idea to create polymetric views for the multi-touch table and see how users interact with them.

Organising speaker for talk at Elvis tomorrow.

Working on proposal.

Having a read of Jens' paper.

Installing Adobe software on laptop including Flash development environment, so I can create Flash games.

Had meeting with Stuart to discuss progress, proposal, and deadlines. Need to get him and James a copy of the proposal by Sunday evening so that they can look at it and we can meet next week to discuss.

10 June

Applied to OOPSLA Doctoral Symposium as an apprentice, by way of email from James. Hopefully I get accepted then another thing to attend and look at what others are doing in terms of their PhD? approaches. Hopefully I will be in a better position to submit something next year.

Gave a presentation at the Industry Meet and Greet event. Lots of people were interested in the multi-touch table. Hopefully next time I will have something working to show smile

Setting up a new iMac.

9 June

Gave some info to Neil on Grounded Theory.

Responding to some emails.

Working on proposal.

8 June

Bought a shiny new iMac for my folks so they now have a decent machine to do some work on.

Found out that the people who create the [BrickTable] are coming to Victoria to do their PhDs?.

Created a wiki page that documents out [Multi-touch table].

5 June

Attended Elvis meeting. Jay gave a nice demo of his application and Hugh talked about his project. Arranging for a speaker next week in a new meeting area, the open space outside Lindsay's House.

4 June

Onward! workshop, PLATEAU got accepted, yay smile

There exists a [Wellington, Missouri] in the USA, just outside Kansas City. Don't plan to visit though.

Experimenting with tracing paper and safety glass, not much luck.

3 June

6 monthly report submitted.

Catching up with Josh about his project.

2 June

Drinks with the NZCSRSC crew.

Metaverse conference is on again at Stanford.

Working on Wikisym poster.

May 2009

26 May

Got another bigger mirror and some web cams, not sure if they are going to be any good have to wait and see and start configuring smile

25 May

Now have a table for the multi-touch device. Working out the software and the other parts. Will begin assembling tomorrow.

22 May

Had doctors appointment. Their computer system was down (more like the whole university) so it was interesting to see how they cope, very badly.

No Elvis meeting. Instead went to a talk by Chris Fluke from Swinburne showing how he used visualization with astronomy. It was an interesting talk and showed how he used powerful GPUs to conduct his computations.

Did some JAOO admin.

21 May

Meeting with James and Stuart. The crux is to pull finger and start building the multi-touch environment. Proposal can come later.

Attended Angela's seminar. I haven't heard the whole PhD? so it was worthwhile attending and great stuff.

Doing some Onward workshop setup, need to create the web site. Jobsed it.

20 May

Finished off some COMP205 admin.

Working on proposal.

Attended graduation and saw Pippin, Rilla, and Angela all graduate with their PhDs?, congratulations smile

Attended the JUG and gave Bruce a copy of the corpus, hopefully he will talk at Elvis one day about his Project Coin submissions.

19 May

Feeling a little better, working on proposal.

18 May

Sick, got a cold and cough.

The Google Unix command looks quite interesting: http://goosh.org/

16 May

Got access to use Moron Says What "I Love Wikipedia" song which I plan to use to create a visualization about the structure of Wikipedia, another thing to do on my list ...

COMP205 admin.

15 May

Organising money to pay fees.

Helping Jonathan with some scripts for COMP205 marking. COMP205 admin.

Created a picture for picture of the week.

Meeting with Josh to discuss corpus related work and some things he should look up.

Caught up with Rilla and Pippin for coffee to discuss what they have been up to and the wonderful plan to build a multi-touch table here at Vic.

14 May

Following up with Scholarships office.

Got some stats from Viveka Wiley about X3D/VRML but not really what I was looking for with regard to my masters thesis. The main point is that VRML is declining and that X3D is slow to be adopted.

COMP205 admin.

Trying to source a ticket to graduation next week.

Created a news story for the ECS web site about NZCSRSC.

Organising for Nicolas Erdody to come and talk about the Open Source Learning Lab and eduforge.org

Organising a time to catch up with Josh.

Organising time to meet with Pippin and Rilla.

13 May

Working on proposal.

Forward Nic some information about Elvis etc. Responded to Nic about the history of the reading group.

Got some data from Josh, playing around with Scitools and creating some line graphs of the WMC for Ant. On average it has 11 methods per class.

12 May

Forwarded Ewan info about the Scitools licence.

11 May

Emailed Scitools for an educational licence. We can get an educational licence for 12 months, yay smile

Flying back to NZ. Read some papers about building multi-touch applications.

10 May

Onward workshop admin.

8 May

Missed Josh Blochs's key note just, apparently it was quite good. Saw how to build web apps for lots of users, the Google presenter did not really give much insight though. The best talk of the conference came from Josh Bloch's Java Puzzlers which was really good. Skipped the next session to talk to Josh about my PhD?, he seem quite interested. Attended a talk about Architecture. The speaker was good but unfortunately I think most people in the room were already aware of what he was speaking about. It would have been better to have talked about stories from the trenches.

The next session contained three talks I wanted to see. Aino's dating patterns, Dave's Get Onto My Cloud, and Erik's Software Visualization talk. Erik already said his talk was going to be similar to last years and I have heard Dave speak, so I thought I would attend Aino's. It was a great talk. The last session I attended was by James Ward on Flex, it was really impressive with some great demos, but he tried to cover too much in one session. There were no pointers to slides, things to go and get and play with.

7 May

Clemens Szyperski gave the keynote. Was not that impressed, he did not seem excited about his work or why components are important to todays computing environments.

Learnt about the history of Objective-C and realised that it is an alternative to C++. Then listened to an interesting talk on how to build an iPhone application, that was really cool.

Heard a talk about Domain Specific Languages (DSL). To me I think this is a glorified word. Then heard a talk by Avi Bryant (great speaker) about why Ruby needs to be faster. The talk showed some examples of what had been done in the past to other languages such as Self, Java etc. Linda capped off the day with deception and how we fool ourselves, this is a good one to get offline somewhere if you can.

The social night was spent at the bowling alley, something I haven't done in a while since my Palo Alto days. I thought I had done quite well for not playing in over a year.

Working on registration at 8am, very early smile

6 May

Helped pack some bags for the conference.

Went to a tutorial on Test Driven Development in Java by Erik Doernenberg and Dan North. Both were accomplished presenters. For my purposes I felt the tutorial was a little too long, since it is not something I do on a day to day basis but it was interesting to get a flavour for this subject.

5 May

Caught up with some buddies and wen to a sushi place for dinner. Managed to spill orange juice all down my trousers. Not too happy that day.

Attended a tutorial on Agile Retrospectives by Linda Rising. Not that I have done one but it was interesting to hear Linda talk about them and what they are all about. Linda is a great speaker and makes it worthwhile listening to her.

Attended a tutorial on JavaScript?: The Good Parts by Douglas Crockford, it was not as good as expected. The speaker was quite quiet and a lot of the material could have been read from the book. It would have been better to show demos or code in action, something actually remotely interesting because as it was it was very dry.

4 May

In Sydney for JAOO.

1 May

Elvis meeting need to do stuff smile

April 2009

19 April

Submitted Onward! Workshop, yay!

Marking COMP205 Assignment 3.

18 April

Marking COMP205 Assignment 3.

Updated some web pages.

17 April

Marking COMP205 Assignment 3.

Elvis meeting Ned talked about Agile Estimation and Planning. It was a good discussion.

16 April

Marking COMP205 Assignment 3.

Discussing with Stuart our Workshop Proposal for ASE, Visual Analytics for Software Engineering (VASE).

15 April

Marking COMP205 Assignment 3.

Followed up on some emails.

VASE workshop making some changes to the proposal

Final draft of PLATEAU workshop proposal. Waiting for the others and then will submit in the next day or so.

14 April

Beginning to mark COMP205 assignment 3. Doing all the print outs, running scripts etc. Reading up on some stuff to do with UML, will need to look at Effective Java book smile

12-13 April

Taking some relaxation time.

11 April

Travelled back to Wellington by car.

10 April

Took a day off and slept in and then had a bit of look in Auckland.

9 April

Final day of the conference. Some papers then a final wrap up with a key note. The lunch was great followed with the traditional great music by Ian Witten. When Robert Amor gave his closing speech hail started falling down just when he was complimenting Auckland on its weather. It was quite hillarious as it was too loud that he couldn't speak over it. Caught up with Ewan for dinner and discussed a range of things I could be working on ...

8 April

Second day of the conference and a good key note by JP Lewis from Weta Digital. It was interesting to see how they created the scenes for King Kong. The lunch time sessions involved discussion groups. I had some interesting discussions with Craig and Keith about software engineering research. In the afternoon there was workshops, some were of value. Evening event in the graduate student room called Strata. Very nice. Went out for some beers afterwards and made it to an interesting bar called Rakinos Island, very cool.

7 April

First day of NZCSRSC. Lots of good papers and a key note by Alan Blackwell from University of Cambridge which was very interesting. It covered the areas in which he is working in with respect to interdisciplinary design of software to support different domains. Presented my poster which was well attended and I got some feedback. Evening event was located on a boat cruise around the Auckland harbour.

6 April

Meeting with NextWindow? and start of NZCSRSC. Had Theatre Sports games and a nice dinner in the Pacifika Centre.

5 April

Driving to Auckland

4 April

Sleeping while working. Too much to do. Just finished my poster, now need to print it then off to Auckland tomorrow for NZCSRSC.

3 April

Submitted WikiSym? Paper. It was tough going but we got there in the end.

2 April

Finished 205 marking. Now back to that WikiSym? paper.

1 April

Marking 205 assignment. Meeting with James about Wikisym paper.

March 2009

31 March

Marking 205 assignment 2

30 March

Marking 205 assignment 2

29 March

Marking 205 assignment 2 slowly, need to go faster.

28 March

Marking 205 assignment 2 at the beginning.

27 March

Getting Dave's scripts to work for COMP205 marking.

Graham Jenson from Massey gave a talk at Elvis meeting quite interesting and related to what Stuart did for his PhD?.

26 March

Wikisym paper.

Lost in final of A grade ultimate. Last day of outdoor league for a while. Too bad I am going to miss the tour event here in Wellington in a week or so.

Major thing to change is to rename the discussion section and call it Experience.

Had meeting with James and John. Now have an extension until next week for the paper. Hoorary I think we needed a few extra days to complete the thing.

25 March

Wikisym paper.

Had meeting with John to discuss some of the content. Will meet again tomorrow.

24 March

Wikisym paper.

Won Social Grade Ultimate, hooray, hopefully we do well on Thursday as well since my team is in the final as well.

February 2009

27 February

Working on LiveJ? and short proposal ...

Working on WikiSym? paper.

Attended Elvis meeting.

Lock changed on my door, so I can now get into the office without breaking the key.

Heal still sore.

26 February

Injured my Achilles heal while moving a desk into my office. I now can't walk that freely.

Setting up workstation so that it is ideal for my working in.

Doing last clean up of the room lots of spraying and wiping.

Feeling sneezy got a cold from all the cleaning I was doing yesterday. I think the dust got up my nose a bit too much.

25 February

Exchanging some emails with Pippin about how he built the Carleton University multi-touch display. We may end up building one here for research to do with visualization. Still thinking if that is the approach I want to take with my PhD?.

Now moved into [CO236], aka old usability lab. This is a nice room which was recently renovated before Tim Wright moved in a few years ago. Busy cleaning it etc. to make it inhabitable.

24 February

Thinking about my three contributions of my PhD?. Need to write the two page paper for James. Need to follow up with Robert about building the multi-touch display.

Following up on my to do list. Finished reading a CHI paper and making notes for the author.

23 February

Following up on emails, and ones to Ewan. Clarified one about IEEE about some meeting, which thankfully I don't have to attend. Asked library to purchase WikiPatterns? book.

Working on WikiSym? paper.

Got data from Ewan now need to start building app for it to make use of the data with visualizations.

21 February

NZCSRSC camera-ready paper finally submitted. Had to read up on a few things which took sometime.

Hopefully will be able to move into new office next week, yay smile

Sorted out my home office, which has been in a bit of a mess for the past few weeks.

20 February

Working on a paper for WikiSym? about WikiPublisher?.

Working on NZCSRSC paper.

Had NZCSRSC admin meeting.

Attended Elvis meeting, was a bit late.

Fixed up my email folders which should make things a little bit easier to manage things.

Weather is crap!

19 February

Attended Mark Moir's seminar, interesting to see he has made substantial progress since his last visit.

Read the Evolving Frameworks paper by Johnson and John Hosking's version of applying it to his visual languages.

4 February

Reviewing papers for Wikis4se.

Following up with the Ethics committee about the survey ethics form.

Caught up with James briefly. He said Keith has been using Semmle. I will sit down with Keith to find out what he has learned from the use of the software.

3 February

Got access to Tableau Software a visual analytics tool for a few months trial. So hopefully I can put the tool to good use.

Subscribed to the [Qualitas Corpus] Mailing List.

Easing my way back into work after a weeks vacation.

January 2009

25 January - 2 February

On holiday. Enjoying some time up near Rotorua.

23 January

Got access to Semmle will now need to look at it once I get back from my holiday.

End of ACSW 2009. All the volunteers did a great job and the conference in my opinion went better than expected. Alex did a great job steering the ship.

Had a good discussion with Ewan about direction of PhD? and what kinds of things I could investigate. It was a real worthwhile chat. Perhaps I should have taken some notes.

Looked at the Visualization Wall (aka Our Space) in Te Papa. This is something we could potentially use in our research. I will need to follow up with Te Papa about this to see if we can use it or not.

Had SPPI meeting and presented some of my slides.

22 January

Attended the software engineering stream of ACSC which had three interesting papers. There was a corpus study of Python programs which was done by Alex Houlkner from RMIT.

I enjoyed Ronald Fagin's talk even though the proofs were above me. He made it interesting and entertaining.

21 January

Attended Ian Foster's key note talk which was really good. I was much more impressed by this talk as opposed to his talk at NZCSRSC 2007 which was more aimed at what kind of career one can do with a PhD?. Ian is a great speaker and entertaining as well.

20 January

So ACSW 2009 begins. Mark Guzdial gave a really really great talk on computer science education. The main point is that they are trying new methods to teach computer science using a multimedia approach. He happens to also know John Stasko (software visualization fame) given that he has an office right next to him.

19 January

ACDC went well and I got some good feedback from the panelists. The main point is I need to make clearer the focus of the PhD?, currently there are too many things I am trying to accomplish.

17-18 January

Working on slides for ACDC next week.

16 January

Gave a dry run of my talk for ACDC at the Elvis meeting.

ACSW admin.

15 January

Picked up the Sun CDs for the conference.

ACSW admin.

14 January

SPPI meeting update with James, discussed what we need to present at the meeting next week.

13 January

ACSW and NZCSRSC admin.

Following up with the Ethics committee about the survey ethics form.

12 January

ACSW waiata practice and SV meeting.

Getting ASE flyer for conference bag.

9 January

Following up on emails.

Replied to Ethics approval email, hopefully it gets sorted soon. However, I did not see any email about the survey ethics form. Have to wait and see.

Read paper on 3D Visualization Patterns.

ACSW admin, chasing up student volunteers.

OOPSLA admin.

Joined the gym, so hopefully I will be a lot fitter in a few months smile

8 January

Working on proposal.

Finished reviewing NZCSRSC papers.

7 January

Read a friends diploma thesis.

ACSW admin.

6 January

ACSW meeting and admin.

5 January

Not working today, still need one more day of holiday.