Xiaoying Sharon Gao
Most of my research projects are in the area of Web Intelligence - a new and very challenging research area.
My current research aims to develop new models and new algorithms that improve web search, web data extraction, web page classification and clustering.
Here is a list of my projects:
- Improving clustering and evaluation The first objective is to improve clustering-based data extraction by identifying new features. The second objective is to improve the evaluation of web data extraction systems by developing new evaluation criteria and standard testing data sets.
- Semantics-guided web page clustering The goal of this project is to introduce a new model and a new algorithm that adds semantics to clustering. The main idea is to estimate the semantic similarity between words. This similarity is then used to guide the clustering algorithm into generating meaningful and relevant clusters.
- Clustering web usage data The amount of the web usage data is huge. The data has complex structures and is non-numerical. Clustering this new type of data is thus very challenging and innovative.
- Query refinement by identifying the key aspect in an original query Our previous research has shown that identifying which aspects are underrepresented in the result set of an original query increases the precision of automatic query refinement. This project expands on this idea and introduces a new concept of key aspect and new methods to refine queries.
- Ontology learning using Google distance and Google search results Our previous research shows that we can use Google distance to learn a vocabulary for a “term”. This idea can be generalised and applied to ontology learning. It would be interesting to find out how this can improve web search.
More information can be found in my personal web page
and the Artificial Intelligence group
For a list of my recent publications, please see the Publications Database
I got my BE and ME from China in 1990 and 1992, and received a PhD from the University of Melbourne, Australia in 2000. I have been working at Victoria University of Wellington since 2000.