PhD Meetings With Craig

This is a place to put meeting notes for PhD meetings with Craig which usually involves CraigAnslow and his supervisors JamesNoble and StuartMarshall.

2011

24 March 2011

Discussion
  • Update of hardware, both tables are settled.
  • Publicity, Victorious and other person
  • Software, showed treemap and wordle visualizations, source vis shell
  • TCL funding, send email
  • SPPI James to find out how much left
  • One page summary of testing procedure, email
  • Possible Canada trip
  • VISSOFT tool paper
  • Laptop back in action
  • Receipts from old hardware, email

Attendees
  • CraigAnslow
  • JamesNoble

2010

15 September 2010

Discussion

  • Trip to Auckland to see SMART, NextWindow and University of Auckland
  • SPLASH registration
  • VisWeek registration
  • ITS registration
  • New table in operation
  • ITS doctoral submission
  • XRay plugin
  • MT4J
  • SourceVis example of polymetric views
  • Faculty grant 2010 for travel
  • SPPI
  • PLATEAU schedule
  • Onward Films, Gource
  • Tabletops Book
  • Surfnet

Attendees
  • CraigAnslow
  • JamesNoble
  • StaurtMarshall

Action Points

  • register for SPLASH and VisWeek
  • to prepare a pilot study to be run before departing for the U.S.
  • add sorting/filtering/grouping functionality + labels.
  • explore how the data would work represented as a wordle and treemap.
  • find OS Java implementations of wordle and treemap.

1 September 2010

Discussion

  • Trip to Auckland to see SMART, NextWindow and University of Auckland
  • New table in operation
  • ITS doctoral submission
  • Faculty grant 2010 for travel
  • SPPI
  • TCL scholarship
  • PLATEAU reviews
  • Onward Films, Gource
  • Tabletops Book

Attendees
  • CraigAnslow
  • JamesNoble

Action Points
  • get something working properly in Java otherwise need to explore Smalltalk for at least a week

21 July 2010

Discussion

  • New table status
  • SoftVis Paper Status
  • What is my research idea?
  • VisWeek plans
  • Scholarship rejection, JL Stewart and BuildIT
  • Perhaps submit something to ITS
  • InfoVis Doctoral Consortium submission
  • VisWeek student volunteer submitted
  • Onward Film submitted
  • Acquired 2x ITS old projectors
  • Other scholarships
  • CoVIS workshop not at VisWeek but likely to be at CHI
  • NextWindow Update - summer project
  • Finished reading gestural interfaces book
  • Saw air table in the SCPS
  • Te Papa has some multi-touch tables in the Mixing Room exhibit
  • Need to re-apply for TCL scholarship
  • Completed proceedings for VASE and PLATEAU
  • Finished reviews for SoftVis posters
  • Updated SPPI wiki page and report
  • Working on paper with Alex for AUIC
  • Finished NZCSRSC reports
  • Reviewed Ewan's Corpus paper for APSEC
  • Sorting out the remaining NZCSRSC finances
  • Helping out at Study@Vic Day by showing multi-touch table
  • Enquired about doing a suspension of the thesis retrospective, but this will likely now happen post TCL scholarship
  • Created new SoftVis blog
  • Helping Haowei
  • Finally tracked down official PhD candidate letter

Attendees
  • CraigAnslow
  • JamesNoble
  • StuartMarshall

Action Points
  • get something working properly in Java
  • get the table in perfecting working order
  • finish off all remaining outstanding tasks

3 June 2010

Discussion

  • New table status
  • Tabletops paper
  • multi-touch polymetric views
  • suspension
  • BuildIT grant
  • Read CoVIS papers
  • Apply for JL Stewart scholarship
  • VASE and PLATEAU proceedings

Attendees
  • CraigAnslow
  • JamesNoble
  • StuartMarshall

Action Points
  • Finish NZCSRSC reports
  • Sort out the remaining NZCSRSC finances
  • get something working properly in Java
  • get the new table finished

27 May 2010

Discussion

  • Need BuildIT reference letters
  • New table status - underway
  • Tabletops paper - underway
  • Working on Onward! Film
  • Submit to InfoVis DC
  • CoVIS workshop submission likely to be in Aug/Sept
  • Perhaps we could do a CHI paper
  • Should submit something to AUIC
  • Enquire about a submission re: NZCSRSC work
  • Current Faculty grant status
  • Apply for faculty grant
  • Need a regular meeting time, perhaps 4pm.

Attendees
  • CraigAnslow
  • JamesNoble
  • StuartMarshall

Action Points
  • Get new table built
  • Work on SoftVis submission

5 May 2010

Discussion

  • 6 Monthly report
  • reenrolment
  • suspension
  • Create SoftVis paper about evaluating Polymetric Views
  • SCPS have a table which is something we could perhaps use to model our table on
  • Helping Haowei and Keith with their SoftVis papers

Attendees
  • CraigAnslow
  • JamesNoble
  • StuartMarshall

Action Points
  • Get new table built
  • Work on SoftVis submission

2009

21 August 2009

Discussion
  • Proposal
  • MT Table status
  • PLATEAU submission
  • VASE submission
  • SPPI update
  • BuildIT submssion
  • visit to Unlimited Realities (UR) + reimbursement for travel
  • NZCSRSC taking a lot of time
  • Te Papa Display

Attendees

  • CraigAnslow
  • StuartMarshall
  • JamesNoble

Action Points
  • Get table up and running properly
  • work on the software side of things, get some example software visualizations

30 July 2009

Discussion

  • Thesis proposal still coming along missed deadline by end of the month.
  • Multi-touch table, basically working, need a better camera now. IR lights purchased but need fixing. Need to explore better surface material for acrylic.
  • SPPI wiki update completed.
  • PLATEAU workshop planning is going fine. Publishing papers likely to be in the form of a technical report. Submit a paper about complexity of Java using pictures of polymetric views.
  • VASE workshop deadline extended. Need to sort out SPPI funding and waiting to hear back about BuildIT? travel grant. Submit a paper about visual software analytics.
  • Faculty Strategic Grant, can still apply for this.
  • UR and Massey visit went very well.
  • Continue looking at Semmle/MicroPatters/SciTools/Processing
  • Arranging meeting with Story Inc.
  • Need to contact Anderson Design and Gibson Group
  • Gave Stuart copy of chapter 4 workplan.

Attendees

  • CraigAnslow
  • StuartMarshall
  • JamesNoble

Action Points

  • Get first draft of proposal done
  • Continue working on getting the multi-touch table up and running
  • Continue to look at Semmle/MicroPatters/SciTools/Processing

16 July 2009

Discussion

  • Thesis proposal (approach, technical prototype, user evaluation). Need to add timetable
  • Multi-touch trackpad working in a box but not projector.
  • Multi-touch table getting quotes for parts. FTIR surface from SCPS. IR LEDs from JayCar
  • SPPI update, wiki needs updating to meet the deadlines of the annual report.
  • PLATEAU workshop planning is going fine
  • VASE workshop need to do more work here. More PC members here. Need to extend deadline.
  • NZ Education no longer offering the PhD? travel grant any more.
  • UR and Massey visiting next week
  • Finish looking at Semmle
  • Look at Processing
  • Arranging meeting with Story Inc.
  • Need to contact Anderson Design and Gibson Group
  • WikiSym camera read done and ACM permission release form signed
  • Get Micro-Patterns tool working
  • Get something working with SciTools
  • Not tutoring next trimester

Attendees

  • CraigAnslow
  • StuartMarshall
  • JamesNoble

Action Points

  • Finish updating SPPI wiki
  • Get first draft of proposal done
  • Continue working on getting the multi-touch table up and running
  • Continue to look at SciTools/Semmle/Processing

19 June 2009

Discussion

  • Thesis contributions (approach, technical prototype, user evaluation)
  • Proposal not quite at draft one status
  • Add stuff about multi-touch tables to the proposal document
  • Finish looking at Semmle
  • Look at Processing
  • Get Micro-Patterns tool working
  • Time spent on multi-touch is time towards PhD
  • Get something working with SciTools
  • Create poster for WikiSym Wikipublisher project
  • SPPI wiki needs updating
  • PLATEAU workshop accepted at Onward! planning in progress
  • VASE workshop progressing. Need to do the web site and advertise
  • Don't do tutoring next term focus on PhD since that will take some time away from PhD, which is what I really need to focus on.

Attendees

  • CraigAnslow
  • StuartMarshall
  • JamesNoble

Action Points

  • Update SPPI wiki
  • Get first draft of proposal done
  • Get something working on the multi-touch table
  • Continue to look at SciTools

28 April 2009

Discussion

  • Proposal not quite at draft one status, will be in a few weeks though. Only two pages and does not say much. Like what is "Measuring" and "Quality" how would one verify if those were done, seem to be different areas rather than what I am thinking about.
  • Continue to look into Semmle
  • Still need to follow up on Ewan's emails ...
  • Get Micro-Patterns tool working
  • Still follow up with Michele Lanza about errata with his book.
  • Need another meeting with Hayden Smith to follow up on his code
  • Time spent on multi-touch is time towards PhD?
  • Honours Student Josh is using SciTools? have a look at
  • PLATEAU workshop submitted to Onward! is a good idea
  • VASE workshop progressing. Need to get Keynote and publicise
  • NZCSRSC reimbursement for poster, follow up with Sue same process as before
  • Don't do tutoring next term focus on PhD? since that will take some time away from PhD?, which is what I really need to focus on.
  • Perhaps turn masters paper into a journal for Visualization and Graphics journal (unlikely)

Attendees

  • CraigAnslow
  • StuartMarshall
  • JamesNoble

Action Points

  • Get first draft of proposal done, stick to deadline of June
  • Reply to Ewan's emails
  • Start building multi-touch table, perhaps create a project team
  • Get errata information for Michele's book
  • Continue to look at Semmle
  • Look at Tableau Visual Analytics Tool
  • Look at SciTools

14 January 2009

Discussion

  • Proposal not quite at draft one status, will be in a few weeks though. However, next week is the conference and the week after I am taking one week of vacation
  • Updated software visualization ethics form, so that will be approved. Waiting to hear back about the other ethics form re: survey, hopefully that will be next week
  • Complete Ethics forms so that they can go into the next committee meeting. Deadline is 1 December
  • Look at Semmle, Oege de Moor
  • Deploy survey
  • Turn masters paper into a journal for Visualization and Graphics journal
  • Need another meeting with Hayden Smith to follow up on his code
  • Still need to follow up on Ewan's emails ...
  • Look at Micro-Patterns tool and see how it can be integrated for a web based application
  • Still follow up with Michele Lanza about errata with his book.
  • ACSW conference is next week and the main point will be talking to John, John, Jens, and Ewan.
  • Need to get ACDC talk ready, going to give a practice talk at Elvis.
  • SPPI need to show the results of our objectives for this project. Perhaps a couple of colour pictures should suffice. A powerpoint presentation is an over kill.

Attendees

  • CraigAnslow
  • JamesNoble

Action Points

  • Get first draft of proposal done, ready for next meeting
  • Continue to follow up with Hayden Smith re: LGL visualisations again
  • Reply to Ewan's emails
  • Get errata information for Michele's book
  • Continue to look at Semmle
  • Start building LiveJ tool
  • Create a page on ElvisBrain or my wiki which details LiveJ and the visualizations

2008

20 November 2008

Discussion

  • Complete Ethics forms so that they can go into the next committee meeting. Deadline is 1 December
  • Look at Semmle, Oege de Moor
  • Fix up ACDC paper
  • Write paper for NZCSRSC on Google Visualization API
  • Complete Survey
  • Jens from Massey talked about design patterns finder, CDA and implementation of patterns. Perhaps I can use these tools for my tool.
  • Need to get OOPSLA and VLHCC reimbursements
  • Perhaps write a paper for VL
  • Turn masters paper into a journal for Visualization and Graphics journal
  • Punch line Confirm the expected and expose the unexpected
  • Need to find something interesting to expose e.g. Scala has too many interfaces
  • Need another meeting with Hayden Smith to follow up on his code
  • Got something working with LGL but not sure if it is that good. It spitted out VRML but quite poor since it is kind of old. Would be worth writing a script to support X3D though.
  • Still need to follow up on Ewan's emails.
  • Look at Micro-Patterns tool and see how it can be integrated for a web based application
  • Still follow up with Michele Lanza about errata with his book.
  • Planet now working, need to migrate more content
  • ACSW 2009 is taking some of my time in terms of organisation.

Attendees

  • CraigAnslow
  • JamesNoble

Action Points

  • NZCSRSC paper
  • Submit Ethics Forms
  • Continue to follow up with Hayden Smith re: LGL visualisations again
  • Reply to Ewan's emails
  • Get errata information for Michele's book
  • Continue to look at Semmle and ABC

4 September 2008

Discussion

  • Softvis posters need to complete before I leave for the conference.
  • IEEE event went ok, but gave a dry run of my talk for VLHCC grad consortium
  • OOPSLA poster working on creating more visualisations with Many Eyes.
  • Got a first draft of the software visualisation survey need to complete the HEC application. Need to investigate the use of online survey software.
  • Create HEC applications for usability tools studies and observation studies which will be critical to my research
  • Still need to follow up with Hayden Smith about the Lego Hypothesis visualisations with LGL/Cairo?. Need another meeting for him to show me the actual source files he used with his Python script.
  • Got something working with LGL but not sure if it is that good. It spitted out VRML but quite poor since it is kind of old. Would be worth writing a script to support X3D though.
  • Created some visualisations with prefuse an information visualisation toolkit
  • Created some visualisations with Wordle which is a visualisation type now supported in Many Eyes
  • KAREN travel grant is a no goer, doesn't make sense to go to this conference.
  • Get some screen shots on the visualisation lab
  • Still need to follow up on Ewan's emails.
  • Still need to look into Yossi Gills OOPSLA Micro-Patterns paper about corpus related questions we want to ask.
  • Still have a good look at Oege de Moor ABC compiler for optimizing the AspectJ? compiler
  • Still follow up with Michele Lanza about errata with his book.
  • Elvis wiki slowly moving over to the new one. Look into the Planet software to replace the old recent changes.
  • Basically don't have time for the AUIC paper about visualizations, perhaps I can submit something to NZCSRSC or VISSOFT next year.
  • Moving offices from CO240 to CO241 as Vipul is moving in.
  • Contacted Axel Uhl to arrange a meeting at OOPSLA about the ABAP programming language. Perhaps we can have a corpus of SAP applications to visualise.
  • NZCSRSC 2009 is going to be in Auckland.
  • ACSW 2009 is taking some of my time in terms of organisation.

Attendees

  • CraigAnslow
  • JamesNoble

Action Points

  • Complete Softvis posters
  • Complete VLHCC grad consortium presentation slides
  • Draft of software visualisation survey and HEC applications for survey, usability studies, and observation studies.
  • Look into the kinds of questions we want to ask about the software in the corpus to create visualisations, i.e. program comprehension. Margaret-Anne Storey has done some work like this in the past
  • Create more visualisations with ManyEyes
  • Follow up with Hayden Smith re: LGL visualisations again
  • Reply to Ewan's emails
  • Get errata information for Michele's book
  • Continue to look at Semmle and ABC

28 July 2008

Discussion

  • MSc thesis bounded, copy put in the library, and James and Stuart have copies. Robert will get his at OOPSLA.
  • FOS grant has been extended.
  • OOPSLA poster submitted on Java API visualisations with Many Eyes. It might be worthwhile seeing if we can create any more visualisations with Many Eyes.
  • The software visualisation survey needs to be done, get something in good draft format by the end of the week + HEC application. Make the survey online using SurveyMonkey? or something along those lines
  • John G visited and we talked about the survey and the SPPI project. The survey can be just our objective.
  • Followed up with Hayden Smith about the Lego Hypothesis visualisations with LGL. Need another meeting for him to show me the actual source files he used with his Python script.
  • Look into LGL since it has some support for 3D and can output VRML files using a Perl script which I could probably modify to make it use X3D instead. Perhaps GXL is still something we can explore as an alternative to LGL, but judging from the current web page it has not been updated for a while now. Possibly need to follow up with other graph drawing people about graph drawing applications. Graphviz and InfoVis? toolkits are something to look at as well.
  • Submitted a KAREN travel grant. Looks like it is going to be accepted so long as I target it more around the use of the e-research facilities as opposed to my own PhD? work.
  • Look at the visualisation lab and the SAGE software from the University of Chicago. Basic visualisations I have created so far don't really scale for the whole wall at the moment.
  • Shane Markstrum has arrived and is here now for about a month. Showed him around and done a few touristy things with him.
  • Need to follow up on Ewan's emails.
  • VUW School of Psychology has an eye tracking software facility and maybe it is something we can use. I have made some initial inquiries. Will need to do some further follow up with them about how to book it and use it. It is something I would like to do with the evaluation side of the visualisations for the PhD?.
  • Look into Yossi Gills OOPSLA Micro-Patterns paper about corpus related questions we want to ask. The point being is for the proposal I need to come up with some questions we want to find out about the software in the corpus, then build visualisations to answer those questions, followed by user evaluations. I wish the PhD? was that simple ...
  • Stuart pointed out a video to watch from the TED conference in 2000 about Fluorescent and Photosynth or something along those lines. Will need to do some digging.
  • Eugene Dogma will be visiting us from University of Sydney sometime in August and hopefully he will give a seminar on his work.
  • Still have a good look at Oege de Moor new compiler for optimizing the AspectJ? compiler
  • follow up with Michele Lanza about errata with his book.
  • need a regular meeting time, which is now 11am Tuesdays
  • VLHCC accommodation
  • Elvis wiki slowly moving over to the new one.
  • Try to come up with visualisations and see if I can create one per week. Perhaps in one month we will be able to put together a paper for AUIC which has a deadline of 7th September.

Attendees

  • CraigAnslow
  • JamesNoble
  • StuartMarshall

Action Points

  • Draft of software visualisation survey and HEC application
  • Look into the kinds of questions we want to ask about the software in the corpus to create visualisations
  • Create lots more visualisations. Perhaps look at ManyEyes? again and see if we can get any more from that.
  • Follow up with Hayden Smith re: LGL visualisations again
  • Reply to Ewan's emails
  • Get errata information for Michele's book
  • Continue to look at Semmle and ABC

24 June 2008

Discussion

  • MSc thesis get it bounded.
  • James will be away for ECOOP.
  • Turn SIENZ Tuute Visualisation work into a poster for SoftVis?
  • MSc thesis work turn into a SoftVis? poster as well
  • Create OOPSLA poster on Java API visualisation with ManyEyes?
  • Continue with survey and get something out the door. Need to talk about the kind of new questions related to software visualisation
  • Continue to follow up with Hayden Smith on the Lego Hypothesis visualisation pictures
  • Apply for a KAREN travel grant
  • John G arrives next week need to discuss the survey and SPPI stuff. The SPPI the survey objective is upon us still, but maybe able to delay a bit since we have only just signed the contract
  • Need to follow up on Ewan's emails
  • Still to do have a good look at Oege de Moor new compiler for optimizing the AspectJ? compiler
  • VLHCC accommodation, registration need to do

Attendees

  • CraigAnslow
  • JamesNoble

Action Points

  • Bind MSc thesis
  • Softvis posters
  • OOPSLA poster
  • Software visualisation survey
  • VLHCC lodging
  • contact Hayden Smith again
  • follow up with Ewan
  • get back in touch with Michele
  • look at Semmle and ABC

17 June 2008

Discussion

  • MSc thesis get it finished ...
  • X3D development (JavaScript? and C++ approaches) verse doing stuff on PhD?. Try not to do too may things outside PhD?.
  • Hayden Smith did some work for Lego Hypothesis to do with visualisations with LGL, ask him for it. Similar to the pictures from the Massive Change book James has in his office
  • Get the survey paper together, we need something before John G arrives. Contact Lindsay for the original paper, questions, and results from the survey a few years ago
  • SPPI the survey objective is upon us
  • what kind of visualisation types are of most interest in implementing ???
  • Tag cloud visualisation showing the differences between Java 1.0 and Java 1.6 would be interesting
  • Shane Markstrum is coming will need to help show him a few things
  • read all the Ewan corpus papers, need to follow up on Ewan's emails, but first masters thesis binding etc.
  • Have a good look at Oege de Moor new compiler for optimizing the AspectJ? compiler - still to do smile
  • follow up with Michele Lanza about software visualisation evolution
  • need a regular meeting time, which is now 2pm Tuesdays
  • VLHCC accommodation, registration
  • SoftVis? papers etc.

Attendees

  • CraigAnslow
  • JamesNoble
  • StuartMarshall

Action Points

  • finish MSc thesis changes and then bind!!!!
  • put something together for the software visualisation survey
  • contact Hayden Smith, Michele Lanza, Ewan
  • look at Semmle and ABC

2 May 2008

Discussion

  • MSc thesis grading and graduation in May => December
  • reimbursement for expenses at CHI and Eurographics
  • VLHCC paper, wait for reviews
  • Perhaps a SoftVis? poster might be quite good or submit something to the VLHCC graduate consortium.
  • Start to think about proposal, should be done by December this year, could definitely have it completed well before then if I choose to
  • Continue reading Ewan's corpus papers and find out how the application runs to extract data, perhaps it is in the papers somewhere.
  • Have a good look at Oege de Moor new compiler for optimizing the AspectJ? compiler
  • Have a further look at the AOSD conference series
  • Completed reading Michele Lanza's book Metrics in Practice: Using Software Metrics to Characterize, Evaluate, and Improve the Design of Object-Oriented Systems which was useful to maybe create a visualisation tool that support metrics
  • Had an idea about creating a tool similar to JUnit for metrics i.e. MetricUnit testing, MUnit testing, MeUnit, MetUnit or something along those lines. Perhaps it could be integrated into Eclipse.
  • Start to put something together for the survey.
  • We could use Many-Eyes as an experiment to create some software visualisations.

Attendees

  • CraigAnslow
  • JamesNoble
  • StuartMarshall

Action Points

  • explore creating visualisations in Many-Eyes of the classnames in the Java API Specification
  • continue to read the corpus papers
  • look at Semmle and ABC
  • follow up with Lindsay and Ewan

27 March 2008

Discussion

  • upgrading MSc to PhD?
  • MSc thesis grading and graduation in May
  • six monthly report for Stratex
  • tickets, accommodation, and registration for CHI and Eurographics
  • VLHCC paper
  • Corpus stuff, i.e. proposal
  • Research Grant SPPI Project
  • SAP NDA, Axel Uhl, access to ABAP code
  • Ewan's corpus papers
  • Oege de Moor (Oxford) has a company called Semmle and a new compiler for optimizing the AspectJ? compiler called ABC. The Semmle code is a plugin to Eclipse and can visualise a code base.
  • AOSD conference series
  • Michele Lanza's book Metrics in Practice: Using Software Metrics to Characterize, Evaluate, and Improve the Design of Object-Oriented Systems
  • Mining Software Repositories (MSR) workshop at ICSE
  • /vol/elvis/VisualWorker?
  • OOPSLA 2008 paper submission multiple dispatch corpus

Attendees

  • CraigAnslow
  • JamesNoble

Action Points

  • read the corpus papers
  • join AOSD mailing lists
  • read Michele's book
  • look at Semmle and ABC