JeremyShipman is doing a BIT Thesis in 2008, working on HCI <<*implementation and evaluation of a 3d geospatial information visualisation method*>>, Supervised by StuartMarshall, and Co-Supervised by JamesNoble. Weekly meeetings are in Stuart's office Thursday, 11am. EstherNg is working on a similar project, with the same supervisors.
- Visualization - has an interesting list of visualization techniques
- Geospatial : pertaining to the geographic location and characteristics of natural or constructed features and boundaries on, above, or below the earth's surface; esp. referring to data that is geographic and spatial in nature.
- Cartographic : the production of maps, including construction of projections, design, compilation, drafting, and reproduction.
- Infographics : Information graphics or infographics are visual representations of information, data or knowledge.
- Data Visualization, Geovisualisation
- Demographics: selected population characteristics. Eg: race, age, income, disabilites, mobiility, educational attainment, home ownership, employment status, or even location.
- Cognition: the psychological result of perception and learning and reasoning
ACM BibTex Bibliography / Research
Geospatial Information Visualisation
- Visualizing geospatial data: This paper talks about various GIS VIS methods! Yay! This will be a good paper to check citations of.
- Toward new grounds in visualization
- 3D Geovisualisation and urban landscape planning
Understanding/interpreting visualisations (cognition)Readings in Information Visualization: Using Vision to Think, Ed. S. Card, J. Mackinlay, and B. Shneiderman (San Francisco: Morgan Kaufmann, 1999): 6. See Table 1.1, from which this information is quoted.
- Generalized fisheye views: Origional Paper, cited by 364 papers. I could apply the fisheye technique to the given data to make it easier to navigate. I was thinking this could specifically be done in a time-based way....ie info points fade in and out, based on their record date. (see TimeClock below)
- Web Software Visualization Using Extensible 3D Graphics
- TimeClock - Flexible Animation Control in X3D A useful technique I could use for time-based visualisation
Websites, articles etc:
- What are Geographic Visualizations
- 2D and 3D information visualization: The next big Internet revolution
- Association Geographic Information Laboratories Europe
- Tracing the Visitor's Eye - cool visualisations of flickr activity
- a bunch of maps
- 35 great visualisations
- Modern data visualisation approaches
- MA with Specialization in: Geographic Information Systems
- Visualisation made with Processing ....perhaps a language I could use??
- InfoVis.net - some good publications on their e-zine
- Info vis wiki
- Information Asthetics: form follows data - data visualization & visual communication. Nice rss blog resource.