Hints on WritingA (hopefully growing) collection of links on writing.
- How to get a paper accepted at OOPSLA.
- General ECOOP writing information http://www.ecoop.org/
- How to write an abstract using the AbstractPattern
- Scholarly writing should include MeaningfulCitations.
- There's a paper in the MCS technical reports archive about writing: http://www.mcs.vuw.ac.nz/comp/Publications/CS-TR-95-4.abs.html
- Raibert on Good Writing, "Good writing is bad writing that was rewritten", http://www.alice.org/Randy/raibert.htm
- Proofreading Strategies
- Readability scores can be a useful tool, the trick is to pick the right one. You can use the unix tool 'style' to generate scores.
- Justin Zobel's Writing For Computer Science - IanWelch has a copy if you ever want to borrow
- Lyn Dupre's Bugs In Writing - IanWelch has a copy if you ever want to borrow
- The library has a copy of Richard A. Lanham's ''Revising Prose'' that offers the paramedic approach to prose revision. Lanham's book has the advantage that it is real short
- How to Organize your Thesis by Prof. John W. Chinneck
ProposalsBooks from the Victoria library (in the Rankine Brown building)
- Preparing a research proposal : a detailed analysis / by Tomas D. Andres, Call Number: HG177 A561 P
- How to prepare a research proposal : guidelines for funding and dissertations in the social and behavioral sciences / by David R. Krathwohl, Call Number: HG177 K89 H 3ed
- Guidelines for preparing proposals : a manual on how to organize winning proposals for grants, venture capital R & D projects, other proposals / by Roy Meador, Call Number: HF5718.5 M482 G