SWEN422 (2019) - Human Computer Interaction

Prescription

This course covers principles of human-computer interaction that underlie good design of software user interfaces. Advanced topics are introduced with a focus on current research areas.

Course learning objectives

Students who pass this course will be able to:

  1. demonstrate knowledge of key historical advancements and key people in the field of HCI. 3(d)
  2. utilise user-testing techniques to evaluate a software system's user interface. 2(b), 3(b)
  3. demonstrate knowledge of key HCI challenges in the use of information visualisation, gestures and VR/AR systems. 3(d)
  4. develop a software system that utilises information visualisation techniques 3(a), 3(f)

Withdrawal from Course

Withdrawal dates and process:
https://www.victoria.ac.nz/students/study/course-additions-withdrawals

Lecturers

Simon McCallum (Coordinator)

Teaching Format

During the trimester there will be two lectures per week. There are no lab times for SWEN 422.

Student feedback

Student feedback on University courses may be found at:  www.cad.vuw.ac.nz/feedback/feedback_display.php

Dates (trimester, teaching & break dates)

  • Teaching: 08 July 2019 - 13 October 2019
  • Break: 19 August 2019 - 01 September 2019
  • Study period: 14 October 2019 - 17 October 2019
  • Exam period: 18 October 2019 - 09 November 2019

Class Times and Room Numbers

08 July 2019 - 18 August 2019

  • Monday 09:00 - 09:50 – LT101, Murphy, Kelburn
  • Thursday 09:00 - 09:50 – LT101, Murphy, Kelburn
02 September 2019 - 13 October 2019

  • Monday 09:00 - 09:50 – LT101, Murphy, Kelburn
  • Thursday 09:00 - 09:50 – LT101, Murphy, Kelburn

Required

There are no required texts for this offering.

Mandatory Course Requirements

There are no mandatory course requirements for this course.

If you believe that exceptional circumstances may prevent you from meeting the mandatory course requirements, contact the Course Coordinator for advice as soon as possible.

Assessment

This course will be assessed through the following:

  • Assignment 1: Small Group Project
  • Assignment 2: Large Group Project
  • Assignment 3: Peer Evaluation
  • Terms Test

There is no external exam for SWEN 422, however there will be a presentation and report submission scheduled during the exam period.
 
While there is significant group work in the course, the large majority of assessment will be based on individual contributions and critical reflections.

Assessment ItemDue Date or Test DateCLO(s)Percentage
A1: Small Group Assignmentend of week 6CLO: 3,425%
A2: Large Group Assignmentduring exam periodCLO: 2,3,445%
A3: Peer Evaluationduring week 11CLO: 2,3,45%
Terms Testduring week 9CLO: 1,2,325%

Penalties

The penalty for late work will be 20% per day after the due date.

Extensions

Request for extensions must be submitted before the assessment deadline. A medical certificate will be required for medical-based extensions.

Submission & Return

All software assets and documents for the deliverables must be submitted via the School's online submission system, accessible through the course web pages. Marks and comments will be returned through the ECS marking system, also available through the course web pages.

Group Work

There are two group projects in the course. In each assignment, 25% of the mark will a group mark awarded to all contributing students. The other 75% of the mark will be an individual mark awarded based on the contribution and critical reflection demonstrated by the student.

Peer Assessment

During week 11 of the course, student groups will deliver a presentation to the class. Groups will be placed into super-sets of three groups. Each group will be peer evaluated by the other two groups in their super-set. Every peer evaluation will in turn be evaluated by the course staff.
 
The peer assessment received from the other two groups will be worth 2.5% of every student's final grade. The assessment by the staff of an individual student's peer assessment of others will also affect that individual student's final grade by 2.5% as well.

Workload

In order to maintain satisfactory progress in SWEN 422, you should plan to spend an average of 10 hours per week on this paper. A plausible and approximate breakdown for these hours would be:

  • Lectures: 2
  • Readings: 2
  • Assignments: 6

Teaching Plan

See: https://ecs.victoria.ac.nz/Courses/SWEN422_2019T2/LectureSchedule

Communication of Additional Information

All online material for this course can be accessed at https://ecs.victoria.ac.nz/Courses/SWEN422_2019T2/

Offering CRN: 18662

Points: 15
Prerequisites: SWEN 303
Duration: 08 July 2019 - 10 November 2019
Starts: Trimester 2
Campus: Kelburn