SWEN 131 (2019) - Home Page
Welcome to SWEN 131 - Programming for Software Developmentalso known as the Bootcamp This course is the primary entry point for graduate students wishing to enter the Master of Software Development program within the Wellington ICT Graduate School. Students will learn to design, read, write and debug small programs and work on larger software projects within groups while applying software development methodologies and tools. The course will be taught as an intensive full time, 5 week block course and a good performance in this course will meet the MSwDev entry requirement. Welcome! There are a few things that you need to know. 1. Direction and Access We teach in the new facilities in the NEC building on the corner of Taranaki St and Courtney Place in Te Aro, Wellington. Victoria University
Wellington ICT Graduate School
40 Taranaki Street
Wellington (next to Flight Centre, cnr Taranaki and Manners Street ) https://goo.gl/maps/jLKFm48XMAahzny29 To access the teaching facitily take the lift to the 3rd floor, and we are to the right when you exit the elevator (or straight ahead from the single lift off to the side). On the first day you can access the facilities from 09:30 onwards without a student ID card. Normally lifts access without a student swipe card is available from 8am - 5pm. A student swipe card is required for the Master of Software Development room (NEC312), Kitchen (NEC317) and to access the bathrooms in the stairwells on Level 3. 2. General
- There are lockers. Bring a padlock and claim one if you desire.
- There is a Kitchen. You are welcome to bring your own food and lunches, coffee cups etc. But, please keep it clean and do not cook anything objectionable.
- In general class will be on Mon-Thu 10-4. Teaching will occur at times within this period, but there are no set times - this will depend on the exercise at hand.
- During SWEN131 Friday mornings will be reserved for revision and extra help, except for Friday 7 June where the previous cohort will present their work (the full day).
- Later in the programme, Fridays are reserved for the ICTGS activities (SWEN505), so this is not a free day (sorry), but it is likely there will be nothing scheduled in the afternoons.
- There are no set seating plans and places, indeed we will move you around to ensure this doesn’t happen.
- You will be issued with a loaner laptop. This will need to be returned near the end of the program. If you want to bring and use your own, you are welcome to do so
- We sometimes use videos as part of the teaching. Please bring headphones so that you can watch them without being disturbed by others, and vice-versa.
- All connections are wifi and there is a printer/photocopier/scanner available for your use.