IntroductionThese assigments will add up to 15% of the ENGR502 mark, the remaining 85% are the grade received from ENGR401. There may appear to be a lot of content here, but basically it boils down to this. * prepare a professional CV (5%),
* attended three different industry events and
* write a short reflective report on the three industry events attended (10%), Advice on where to find jobs. Any questions, pop in to see Matt (CO354) or email Matt.Stevens@ecs.vuw.ac.nz
LecturesThere are no lectures for this aspect of the course. There will be regular workshops on topics of interest, hosted by the school and by our partners Summer of Tech, Engineering NZ, Institute of IT Professionals and VUW's Career Services.
Attend a CV writing workshopTo be successful in finding work, you will need to produce a CV that persuades employers that they want to interview you. CV workshops are held by a variety of organisations, to help you with preparing a CV. Be prepared to discover there is no single correct way to write a CV. But there are a range of common pitfalls to avoid and easy ways to stand out.
Prepare a professional CVSubmit your CV here. You may be provided with feedback which may mean resubmitting.
Attend an Interview Skills workshopWithin the IT field, the majority of interviews are looking to answer the question "will you fit in and add value". Technical skills are necessary, but you will find in most cases they are not sufficient. Some companies also do technical interviews or include a technical component, these are rarer and typically "Name" companies like Google who get many applicants and can be very selective. Keep in mind that most companies employ experts, they are looking for good juniors who can learn fast from the talent they already have. You do not need to have expert skills, but you do need to be up for adding to the skills you already possess. Interview workshops are held in a variety of different formats, where you can get some ideas of how it's done and a chance to try it out. Like CVs, be prepared to find everyone has deeply held opinions around what makes a great interview. Take it all in and re-use the bits you like.
Attend Three Industry EventsMeet interesting people in industry doing interesting things with tech. In the process learn some stuff, advance your personal project and get to know people doing the kind of jobs you are aiming for. * Three industry events instructions
Industry events reflective reportOnce you've been to these events (a minimum of three), we'll get you to tell us about them (~1000 words): * Reflective Report Templates and example report
* Submit Three Events Reflective Report