CGRA408 (2019) - Computer Graphics Rendering
This course will introduce a physically based photo-realistic rendering pipeline including radiometry, reflectance models, lighting, scene acceleration structures, ray tracing, path tracing and other global illumination algorithms.
Course learning objectives
Students who pass this course should be able to:
- Understand and use the computer graphics pipeline to generate photorealistic rendered images
- Understand the core structures and pipeline of a photo-realistic renderer.
- Understand important concepts and theory of physically based rendering algorithms and be able to construct programs that use these algorithms
Withdrawal from Course
Withdrawal dates and process:
During the trimester there will be three lectures per week. Some lecture time may be used for tutorials, presentations and guest lectures.
Student feedback on University courses may be found at: www.cad.vuw.ac.nz/feedback/feedback_display.php
Dates (trimester, teaching & break dates)
- Teaching: 04 March 2019 - 09 June 2019
- Break: 15 April 2019 - 28 April 2019
- Study period: 10 June 2019 - 13 June 2019
- Exam period: 14 June 2019 - 29 June 2019
Set Texts and Recommended Readings
There are no required texts for this offering.
Mandatory Course Requirements
In addition to achieving an overall pass mark of at least 50%, students must:
- obtain at least 40% on the total of the three projects.
If you believe that exceptional circumstances may prevent you from meeting the mandatory course requirements, contact the Course Coordinator for advice as soon as possible.
This course will be internally assessed through project assignments, final project and paper presentation.
|Assessment Item||Due Date or Test Date||CLO(s)||Percentage|
|Project 1||CLO: 1,2,3||20%|
|Project 2||CLO: 1,2,3||20%|
|Final Project - System & Presentation (group)||CLO: 1,2,3||10%|
|Final Project - Report||CLO: 1,2,3||30%|
|Paper Presentation (two papers each)||CLO: 1,2,3||20%|
Individual extensions will only be granted in exceptional personal circumstances, and should be negotiated with the course coordinator before the deadline whenever possible. Documentation (e.g., medical certificate) may be required.
Submission & Return
All work is submitted through the ECS submission system, accessible through the course web pages. Marks and comments will be returned through the ECS marking system, also available through the course web pages.
The Final Project is a group project.
In order to maintain satisfactory progress in CGRA 408, you should plan to spend an average of 10 hours per week on this paper. A plausible and approximate weekly breakdown for these hours would be:
- Lectures and tutorials: 2.5 hours
- Readings and presentations: 3.5 hours
- Projects: 4 hours
Communication of Additional Information
All online material for this course can be accessed at https://ecs.victoria.ac.nz/Courses/CGRA408_2019T1/
Links to General Course Information
- Academic Integrity and Plagiarism: https://www.victoria.ac.nz/students/study/exams/integrity-plagiarism
- Academic Progress: https://www.victoria.ac.nz/students/study/progress/academic-progess (including restrictions and non-engagement)
- Dates and deadlines: https://www.victoria.ac.nz/students/study/dates
- Grades: https://www.victoria.ac.nz/students/study/progress/grades
- Special passes: Refer to the Assessment Handbook, at https://www.victoria.ac.nz/documents/policy/staff-policy/assessment-handbook.pdf
- Statutes and policies, e.g. Student Conduct Statute: https://www.victoria.ac.nz/about/governance/strategy
- Student support: https://www.victoria.ac.nz/students/support
- Students with disabilities: https://www.victoria.ac.nz/st_services/disability/
- Student Charter: https://www.victoria.ac.nz/learning-teaching/learning-partnerships/student-charter
- Terms and Conditions: https://www.victoria.ac.nz/study/apply-enrol/terms-conditions/student-contract
- Turnitin: http://www.cad.vuw.ac.nz/wiki/index.php/Turnitin
- University structure: https://www.victoria.ac.nz/about/governance/structure
- VUWSA: http://www.vuwsa.org.nz
Offering CRN: 28327
Prerequisites: CGRA 350 or COMP 308 or at least B- in CGRA 401 and 402 (or COMP 471 and 472 in 2014-15);
Restrictions: COMP 408
Duration: 04 March 2019 - 30 June 2019
Starts: Trimester 1